Smoke detectors didn’t work in Neptune apartment fire

At least two people suffered injuries in a fire early Wednesday at Jumping Brook apartments on Route 33, authorities say.

At 11:40 p.m., firefighters responded to an apartment in Building 12 for a reported fire, Fire Official Doug Rowell said. Upon arrival, firefighters saw smoke coming from the first-floor apartment.

Firefighters entered the building and found a 40-year-old woman and a six-year-old boy unconscious, Rowell said. Both people were then taken outside by members of the Neptune Fire Department and turned over to EMS.

The 40-year-old woman and six-year-old boy were both taken to Jersey Shore University Medical Center where they are in critical condition, according to Rowell.

The fire was placed under control around 12:15 a.m. and damage was confined to the one apartment. The apartment was deemed uninhabitable, Rowell said.

“The apartment had no working smoke detectors,” Rowell said. “Had they had them, they may have had an early warning and would have been able to get out of the apartment.”

Rowell recommends people check their smoke detectors and make sure that they are working. If a resident needs smoke detectors they are available through the Neptune Fire Prevention Bureau located at 230 Neptune Blvd. They can also be reached at 732 988-8510.

Neptune Police, Neptune Fire Department, Tinton Falls Fire Department, Neptune EMS and MONOC paramedics responded to the call.

The fire remains under investigation, but it appears to be accidental, Rowell said.

Reprinted from Asbury Park Press website / www.APP.com
Brett Bodner: 732-643-4223; bbodner@gannett.com

Original Story:  http://www.app.com/story/news/local/neptune-wall/neptune/2014/11/12/neptune-apartment-fire-injures-two/18903937/




WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com